The most exciting thing to happen today was discussing which text book we want to study after we finish the current one. We're all dying to say "Everyone shut up, I want to do this one, so we are going to do it" instead of beating around the bush and training for future careers in diplomacy: "Oh well I see the merits in both Business Chinese and the Folk Tales books and it would be ideal to consider the level of vocabulary and grammar in each and our reasons for studying Chinese...." Compared to those who didn't really care, those who are more determined to get their choice were more prone to feeling nervous about an impending disagreement, I mean that's natural but I noticed some people look like they are about to have a nervous breakdown contemplating how they are going to politely tell everyone what they want to study. Flashback from every year of my life: "Liz you think too much."
So why am I crapping on about this? Well, it all comes down to how frustrated I get when I don't see the point in maintaining such a high level of politeness over what kind of Chinese we're going to be studying for the NEXT 6 WEEKS (that's all that's left). But I guess we have the comfort of others to think about though. It gets me everytime. And you have to be as polite as the most polite person in the room. Being around the Les Mademoiselles is so easy. In my class there are two Japanese ladies, a Japanese guy about my age, and an American guy.