Disclaimer: The events depicted in this story did not actually happen but the author would like to state that she wishes it would.
Jane crept into her boss' office feeling the dread of an oncoming put-down. "Man, they really loved that song about making a circle, didn't they boss? Hahaha," said Jane.
"Listen Jane, we know how much you LOVE kindy teaching, and gee whiz, it's a tough industry to get into, so competitive, people crawling all over each other just to get that big chance... It's tough, Jane... that's all I need you to understand."
"Oh, of course, I understand, boss," said Jane hopefully.
"Listen Jane, I'm gonna be straight with you. We at the Academy of Performing for Three Year Olds believe that you just don't have what it takes to become a decent kindy teacher. Sometimes Jane, enthusiasm just isn't enough. It's talent and brilliance we're looking for here, Jane, and I'm afraid, Jane, that you just don't cut it."
"Right boss, I understand."
"We'll pay you till Friday."
Jane walked out and went to Starbucks. For the past couple of months she had tried to abstain from Starbucks because it was relatively expensive. But today she had some thinking to do so she decided to fork out for it. "Oh shit, there goes that job," she thought to herself. She pictured a glim future of twenty-kuai noodle meals and lots and lots of TV instead of gin-tonics ahead of her.
All her non-dreams of not not becoming a kindy teacher were not shattered before her. To think that she had worked so not hard for this, that every minute of every day was spent not focusing on her not-ultimate goal of being a kindy teacher and that she had not lost her dreams forever.
"I pretended, I really pretended, and that's all that matters - pretending," she consoled herself.