Love at First Web Site
Thursday, September 30, 2004
 
My four-year-old glasses broke about 5 days ago. I lost them for a day and when I finally got off my arse to look for them they were deep in the recesses of my bed and I had slept on them and they were seriously bent. My flatmates are like "don't do it, man, you're gonna break them!" but I tried to bend them back anyway. They broke, and because I have seriously been broke aswell, and busy, I've been walking aroung the appartment holding them to my face. Christine called them my bi-monocles and the other day she helped me sticky tape them to my nose and forehead so I could watch DVDs with them in peace. They indicated to me that it was all class the way I wore them, povo-style, and eating off ham that came free with the building barbeque last Friday. I finally had another private today and went straight to the optometrist. They're not really into OPSM here. I'm like, I want glasses, so test my eyes, and instead of going into an office with a bunch of machinery he pointed to the corner where there were a couple of looking-through things and that was it. Oh shit I though to myself, it's like going to the dentist - it's amazingly cheaper and it seems to be the same standard... but there's just something wrong about it. (thanks to the dentist screwing up one filling, all the surrounding teeth have chipped, yay). This time, I'm going for a cheap & nasty pair of rimless, ooooh rimless glasses.

I'm going to Wuling Farm on the weekend. We're renting a car and apparently it's deep in the mountains, and really really good etc. You pick fruit and stay in a Japanese-style cabin and stuff. Yes!!!!! Can't wait. Bags not driving though. I swear I'm not as bad in a car as I am on a scooter. It's a totally different sport. Sport? I never said it was a sport!

The weekend after that my flat is having our long-awaited BBQ. It's called the post-moon- festival encore BBQ extravaganza and the whole world is invited.

My an-qin ban'ers like me again. They even said to me "we like you again". Nice. That's a relief, because I did a shitty performance with the da-bans. The thing that works with the an-qin'ers is the drama I throw into the stupid dialogues. They dig it when I over-act and today they even asked to come up and do it. And I came early to photocopy stuff to give to them. Nice one.

I applied for a translating job with a magazine. They sent me a paragraph in Chinese and one in English and I had to do both of them. Chinese into English was supposed to be a breeze but it took me frickin ages so I don't think I can do that job anymore. The Chinese one was this stupid Starbucks promo about working with World Vision Taiwan to buy some pens and paper for kids affected by landslides and other disasters. Like, Starbucks is huge, and helping WV ask for donations to help exactly 1500 kids is nothing but a cheap advertising campaign. I know that's the way it normally works but I realised I didn't want to translate that crap into English so even more people are inflicted with it. Or I was pissed off that it was so much harder than it looked.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Welcome. For Taiwan posts see March 2004 - Jan 2005. Enjoy!! Do leave a comment - I feel loved.

Archives
March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / May 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]