My New Obsession with Political Correctness
I finally got my new glasses. And I got my haird dyed red too. A friend and I got star treatment at the salon. We went to a good one where you have to make appointments but they let us in straight away and fought over who got to do us. My friend who doesn't speak Chinese was a little rude to them though and when one girl asked "has she had her hair washed yet" then other one said "let her go swimming" and they didn't do it. This is a little anecdote. Things like this have never happened and will never happen again, it's a completely isolated incident.
This morning I skipped class and watched the third presidential debate then went back to bed. Adrian asked me who I thought won and well I reckon they are so different they are hardly even playing in the same league you know. All the dumbarses will vote for Bush and all the people who didn't lose concentration when Kerry related the minimum wage to consumption will vote for him. A friend of mine said that the only questions is, what is the ratio of dumb to dumber in America haha. It's not funny. I wish my friend would stop making stereotypes.
Someone said that a culture can't be described because then you would be stereotyping people. I think then it's incorrect to say that you are going somewhere just to learn about the culture coz technically speaking, there is no culture. I have found that in Taiwan I am constantly swapping and changing what I thought I knew and understood about things. Things are different here, and there is a definite PATTERN to what is different here, but it's incorrect to say that the pattern will continue with everyone. It hasn't, but when I do see things I have seen before, I am used to it, and attibute it to the culture, and dare not say that it is like that everytime. But when I talk to my flatties about my experiences here, giving 'em tips and stuff, I begin every sentence with "generally speaking" or "most of the time."