Our Rooftop Soiree is definitely on. Last night we discussed logistics at the bar and we are going to line the whole edge of the roof with tealight candles. There won't be a theme but for our Christmas party you have to come as your initials. I said I would come as an Egg Sandwich. The plan is to not shower for three days and then wear two slices of bread. Or Easy Sex. Adrian is going to come as an Awkward Moment, and Christine is going to come as a Conscious Thought or a Camping Trip. They voted against playing the orange game, and pass-the-parcel didn't even make it to senate, but I'm going to buy an orange anyway and test it out.
I went to a little trial for the translation job. It was awful. They said don't worry it's not an exam but basically said I had half an hour to do this little passage, and of course I had to look up about 2 million words in the dictionary. Before I did it, the lady grilled me about uni, asking me what street Sydney Uni was on and what is was near, as if she thought I was lying about it, and whether it was close to Crowes Nest by train, and I'm like Crowes Nest doesn't even have a station. Therefore, judging by the ultra-friendly, trusting and laid-back atmosphere of the place, I still really want to work there. Huh! I can't wait to see their next dodgy sub-standard semi-professional translations in the next issue. "The bar is fulfilled with joyful air and cheese nachos will not go astray as long as you sit on the patio with the back-laying owner, Xiao D to make a scene of blue and green nonsense."
Disclaimer... if they do give me a call, I take it all back!
I'm becoming increasingly tempted to stay longer in Taiwan just because my family is paranoid that I'm going to, even though if I do I will probably never end up graduating and then what shall become of me? It's gonna be so boring back at uni. No scooter, no $30/hour jobs... I guess I could get a motorbike license. How cool!
A rough itinerary is shaping up for China. First stop, Beijing, to go see everything there is too see. Then off the Hubei or Yubei province, I don't know, where a friend will be teaching English, and then off to Xi'an which is nearby or something! I'm so excited I could wet my pants.
Oh another thing, I registered to go in the speech competition. It's only a week away though. So there is a 60% chance I will decide I can't be bothered (you can't use notes!) and pull out. You can basically talk about anything that has to do with learning Chinese, Taiwan culture... Content is more important than language and I don't know what I'm going to talk about so I may just give them my life story for the past four years. "Ni ganma xue zhongwen a?" "Yinwei aiqing de guanxi!"