If any of my 4.5 regulars remember, I applied for a freelance translating job for Compass magazine a while back. After they received my resume via email, the lady called Uvia sent me two passages to translate, one in each language, for a test trial. I did the Chinese-English one and left the other one. They called anyway, offered me an "office job" at about NT$230 per hour, and I proceeded to forget about them.
Opening this month's Compass magazine to page 44, lo-and-behold, there is my translation, called "Will I see you again next semester, Ah-Nai", about a fundraising effort by Starbucks and World Vision. Well, well, well. Joking about how they were probably asking every applicant to do the same thing thereby ending up with a bunch of free translations ended up biting me on the arse now, didn't it?
"Indigenous children" was changed to "Aborigine children". What a dick. And I thought I had a problem being politically correct...
Dear friends and family, if I come back from Taiwan all bitter and twisted, more so than ever before, now you know why!!!!
*************************************************************************************
Straight Up With Sherri
"Satanikub Bloggus" (i wish i spoke spanish)