I Popped the Airbag
I accidentally on purpose told Petunia about the performances and now she and her mum, plus Emily my other private student and her mum (they are all friends) are coming on Sunday to see it. Holy shite! I warned them that it would be slightly strange and weird but they're still keen to come. I'm sure they'll never look at Teacher Liz the same way again. Dude, they are 12 and 11.
I met up with the nice girl from the central coast today. She's totally into understanding the language and culture here and we had a good old chat about how crazy it drives you trying to be indirect. Sigh, I wish I could have met more people like her a year ago! Lily was good for that kind of thing though. Speaking about indirectness, I have popped the airbags at kindy and now everything is sweet. I have nearly perfected how to say "I'm sorry you lost face and I didn't know what to do and I want to make up" using colloquial Indirect. I told the students, "I had a cold last week, but this week I'm getting better." After that, the rain cleared, the sun came out, a rainbow appeared, and now the teacher and I are buddies again. We discussed how we were as tall as each other and how much I really do like everyone there, how much my plane ticket cost, and was pumped that when I said that we have different ways of communicating, she understood. Breathe out. I remember trying to talk about that with one of my roommates but I was being too direct (about being indirect), and the Airbag exploded in my face again.
Cable TV is having some kind of Aussie film festival and I've been couching it with movies I never knew existed. I like watching TV. It makes me feel like I'm saving money and increasing my movie knowledge all at the same time.