p
rostrating before the emperor
kindy update II
Well, after the new wave of discontentment and the discovery that my nanguo was laibuji, I lay awake that night formulating a way of saying sorry indirectly. I swear, I'm a frickin genius. Before I went into class, as I took off my shoes as usual, I stayed down low, and got on my knees, right in front of the door and bowed my head down under the pretense of looking for something in my handbag. I was the total model of humility, and man it made a pretty big impact, all the other ladies were like patting me on the back and feeling sorry for me and stuff and basically what it did was show them that I wanted to sort it out, which is what we did, and now everything is sweet. And last night I giggled myself to sleep as I thought about how kneeling in front of a closed door would have meant little to me a year ago but how dramatic it may have looked to the ladies. Although, during class, I got a bit carried away with the whole World Peace thing, and pulled out the "face" flashcard from four weeks ago, with a picture of Mrs Alligator's face on it, and told the kids how face is important in some places and if you go somewhere where it is, you have to get used to it. I wonder if five year old kids can talk about face. It wasn't subtle enough and they thought I was complaining about the East in general, so that sucked, but I'm still happy about my little success and they do generally leave me a little leeway when I'm blurting things out in Chinese.
In other news, today's the sixth, which means I'm leaving in nine days! Sold my scooter this morning, I was so sad. My scooter didn't even say goodbye, or wave, or acknowledge that it would never see me again. It generally doesn't tend to move unless someone's driving it, though. Walking away was so hard.
I love life today, it's one of those days. I'm doing everything I ever wanted to do (except become a mega-famous actress, although Cate Blanchette was 28 or something when she hit the big time, so I've still got time!) and dude I've been waiting to go to China since I was like 15. Dude!