Well it's Tuesday of Week 4 (of a total of 13 weeks) of this, my last semester at uni. Only 11 more weeks of this going-to-class and paying-attention and sometimes thinking about starting assignments nonsense. Tomorrow I have a Business Chinese test. Just memorised about 50 characters which I'll never use unless I get a James Bond-inspired face-lift, become Chinese, and suddenly be able to speak Chinese like a native. We had a Third-Year Chinese quiz the other day. I lost a mark and a half for using something I gather is only used in Taiwan,
man third-tone as a way of saying very or quite. I also lost half a mark for saying the meaning of
juxing was
conduct, rather than
'conduct a fucking ceremony'. The Chinese history subject I'm doing is still easy as my presentation hasn't come up yet and all you do is come to lectures and write copious notes which I may or may not ever look at again.
Today I researched business degrees. At this uni econometrics is compulsory for a year. At UTS it isn't. But this uni has a better campus life and I'm about to move in to a house right bloody next door to it. It would be a shame to waste the excellent location. All the subjects at UTS are better, and the entry mark is slightly lower so I have a better chance of getting in. Maybe the people are different there too. Either way, I'll be at uni for another three years. Must intersperse it with another free sojourn in Taiwan.
On the weekend I moved all my stuff to Abercrombie St then went to my sister's house where I'm staying until I can move in. On Sunday we saw our Aunty and Uncle. It was all quite boring but we had nothing better to do, quite unfortunately. I also changed phone networks but was without a phone for the whole weekend till I could get the sim-lock taken off my phone yesterday. That sucked, because people were trying to ring me, so I missed out on the chance to feel popular for the weekend. On the subject of popularity, contrary to my expectations no-one at uni is fighting over me for my friendship despite my striking good looks and charming sense of humour. I feel like getting a t-shirt printed that says "Abandon your pre-established cliquey clique to start a new one with me!" There's this guy I think I like, but a friend already likes him, which makes him off-limits. Trust that to happen. Oh I haven't discussed Classical Chinese. The teacher takes us through really slowly so it's a bit of a bludge really, no preparation for class neccessary. Should I have started a new paragraph for that? You see, this is why I hate writing essays. I just don't know what to say, nor how to say it. My presentation for Remaking Chinese Society is "How rational a response was the Great Leap Forward to problems facing China at the time?" And you don't just talk about starvation and shit, you have to read Mao's speeches, which are all useless boring crap, and answer from an ideological point of view, talking about 'contradictions in society' and all this technical philosophical nonsense.
Kick-boxing tonight, whoo! Hope I don't faint.