Last night my sister Mel rang. We hadn't spoken in months because we had been fighting. I think the time had come when too much time had passed, which we both obviously felt, because I had the urge to call her the other night, and she finally called me last night. She said "Hi Liz." I said "Hi. Do you hate me?" and she said "No, do you hate me?" and I said "No." Then we both burst into laughter and said "Glad we got that out of the way."
But on the housemate front, the savage, aggressive French-Canadian is on the rampage and as I have reached the point of feeling nothing but contempt for him and his savage ways, I refuse to enter into negotiations with him. This of course makes me look bad, but I'm willing to wait it out until he finally moves out. The German, who is supportive, says I should 'fight fire with fire'. Like I said, I refuse to stoop to his level and stick with remaining silent and thinking philosophical thoughts about the utterly unfounded abuse being hurled my way. In
Heart of Darkness , they say the author was racist because of the part where the savage the white guy just shot tried to express a final glance of perceived shared humanity with him at his moment of death, and the use of the word 'perceived' is what makes it racist, as the underlying assumption is that they do not have a shared humanity. I myself, believe I am also above my savage housemate, and do not view him as an equal or a worthy opponent.
I got 82.5 for my Chinese speaking test. I am afraid I'll only get a distinction this year. Maybe even a credit, because I've been getting poor marks for homework.
Today I had coffee with a relative who teaches at the uni. I let her pay for it without politely offering to pay for it myself and then I felt awfully rude and guilty. In a few weeks I'll treat her to coffee.