It was an eventful weekend. I am officially seeing someone at the moment as of Sunday. He's a guy who went to the same school as me, but was in Year 9 when I was in Year 12!!!! He's very sweet, very Gosfordy, very small world.
On Friday I nearly did it with George but he ruined the mood by wanting to talk about whether it was a good idea or not etc. At the moment I'm not actually talking to him but that's because of something that happened on Sunday night. Shifting alliances at No. 338! The Frenchies are like don't worry we hate him too, do you want to come to this big party with us on Thursday etc. Apparently there's going to be the 'biggest party in the southern hemisphere' at UNSW.
Ella and I were like 3rd-graders at an annual school ANZAC ceremony at the symphony on Saturday. This pianist was playing this unmelodic crap, seemingly just banging her fists down over various sections of the keyboard, when Ella lent over and whispered to me that it sounded like something she used to play. This was particularly funny because I was thinking the exact same thing. We both learnt piano when we were little and never got anywhere with it.. and this was Opera-House-style classical music, handed down through the ages to entertain people of the most discerning tastes. So anyway, later in the show the pianist came back on, and this was a disaster for us, because as soon as I heard Ella stifle a laugh, and she then heard me stifle a laugh, we were absolutely out of control. I was trying all sorts of techniques to stop laughing, eg holding my nose with one hand and my mouth with the other, but every time I let myself breathe I'd just BURST. Then I'd try Buddhist meditation where I'd block everything out and think of nothing, tilting my head down and closing my eyes. But then I'd hear Ella quietly suppressing her laughter and it would start all over again. Or, I'd manage to block her out, but I'd hear the pianist again and remember how stupid it sounded, and laugh again. It was absolutely hilarious. It gets funnier. You know how in the cinema people tell you to shut up etc, well here, eventually after the most drawn-out period of forcefully controlled breathing followed by the biggest out-of-control explosion yet, a whole smattering of people in the audience broke out laughing aswell!!!We had single- no double-handedly instigated a rebellion of mass disrespect to: Stravinsky (or whatever), classical music, the Opera House, and the poor young lady who has most probably been playing the piano since the age of three, this performance being one of her greatest honours. After that performance we both heaved a sigh of relief. The lights over the audience turned on and I became paranoid that it was so they could catch us and throw us out. As they turned on, people leaned forward in their seats and looked in our direction to see who it had been. I freaked out, and quite ingeniously began to do the same, maintaining the straightest face ever known to man. "Who
was that?" I said to Ella loudly enough.
Ahh, memories. It's good to know I have retained some of my youth.
We had our chinese presentation yesterday. Everyone else's was excellent so our was just average, and I had to check my script, but we managed to get a few laughs here and there.