Summer Repeats II: May 24, 2004
Culture Shock II: The Second Wave
Reckless Complaining and Angry Bitching
I had a bit of a scooter tiff yesterday. My brakes decided not to work, or I just decided to die rather than squeeze them hard enough. So I kind of drove into the back left corner of this car, and while I was busy stressing over the damage my scooter was doing to the car I did a bit of a tipping-over routine where my right big toe nail bent in half backwards and my knee got all scratched and bloody. The princess that I am insisted on seeing a doctor to get it all cleaned up so that it wouldn't get infected which is more likely to happen here with all the dirty air, and besides the pain in my toe was nasty.
At the hospital I was sitting there getting a band-aid put on my knee like I had fallen over at kindy or something and as usual a crowd of nosy foreigner-fans gathered at the door way to watch The Foreigner get some disinfectant cream swabbed over her Foreign toe. Then godammit I started crying just because I was hung over, irritable and generally just traumatised thanks to my dodgy brakes and I was judged a "xiao pengyou" by the Injured-Foreigner Fan-Club. Racism is contagious here. Let me make a politically incorrect sweeping generalisation about the Chinese - I have found them far more
You missed it! I deleted it ten minutes later.
Today I popped into a couple of schools to offer my services as a subsitute teacher and well frankly, telling them that I am Australian is the same as walking into a modeling agency with a donut stuffed in your mouth. You can see the "NO" spread over their faces faster than you can say "American accent." Why do they want an American accent anyway? Its so sad and pathetic really. Its an insult to the English. Growl, etc. Its not PMS either.
In other news, sorry Mum, but apparently I'm verging on alcoholism, toeing the line etc. A concerned friend approached me about it. What am I supposed to do if I can't drink?
***************************
Dig the part where I deleted bitching about the Chinese! I remember that!
That was Andrew who asked me if I was alcoholic. He told me about how is uncle was, and he was quite serious about me being one. I tried to explain that Australia is a country of binge-drinkers and we lack the sophisticated drinking culture of other western countries but alas it is the same as alcoholism.