Love at First Web Site
Thursday, October 19, 2006
 
Musings on the Overprescription of Antibiotics
At first I thought it would be 'cool' to be prescribed penicilin ('scuse the spelling) but then thought 'no, i promised myself i would never take antibiotics unless i really needed them'. It's true - especially for tonsilitis, which I read is not a life-threatening condition, and goes away by itself in less than a week - why not let your immune system do what it was supposed to do instead of fucking around with it? Now, the poor guy with the arm in Requiem for a Dream was in dire need of some antibiotics. But I didn't need them. But alas there goes $20 down the drain and now I have two little bottles of penicilin tablets which I will never use unless I go on a botanical research expedition in the Congo and accidentally um eat a mushroom or something... I think.
The only thing you need to treat with tonsilitis is the GOD DAMN PAIN, which happens to be subsiding thankgod, and I don't know if it's the four tablets of antibiotics I took in desperation to make the pain go away ASAP, or just the fact that it's only supposed to last for a couple of days anyway.
I know I'm repeating myself, but that bloody doctor promised me Advil would make the pain go away completely, which was totally wrong, and once again I woke up in the middle of the god damn night wishing I could grab a knife and rip out the offending tonsils aswell as the swollen lymph nodes in my neck myself and be done with it.
Which brings me to the point - how do you convince a doctor of how much pain you're in without sounding like a junkie? What if you're really in considerable pain and the doctor just thinks oh no, it's only tonsilitis, she'll be right, and I fucking had to take a very EXPENSIVE day off because I knew I couldn't function while every second of the day was spent dreading the next time I would have to swallow?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Welcome. For Taiwan posts see March 2004 - Jan 2005. Enjoy!! Do leave a comment - I feel loved.

Archives
March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / May 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]