Love at First Web Site
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
 
Unemployment brings out your survival instincts, I think. For example this morning, it was nine o'clock, and still no call from the agency. So my mind searched for solutions. I set out on a mission to Chinatown to track down the guy who asked me to teach his friend English three years ago just before I left for Taiwan. On the bus, it occurred to me that I remembered neither his name, nor what he looked like. All I remembered was that on the shelf behind his desk in his office, which was somewhere to the left when you stepped out of the elevator on one of eight levels of an office building in Chinatown, there was a photo of him standing next to Bob Hawk. I felt it was bold of me to go looking for someone who I couldn't remember looked like at all, and I reminisced the day I auditioned for the interpretive dance project in Taiwan. I sat on the floor of the theatre and all I could think of was how desperately I wanted to be involved. I had five months left in Taiwan - they had to be five last months to remember. The overwhelming majority of brain cells upstairs shouted "You've got nothing to lose! You've got nothing to lose!" and a supernatural force pulled me up off my numb bottom and onto the stage, where I 'performed' to Nothing Compares by Sinead O'Connore. As I stood motionless but for my arms waving around as if I was in fact in a beginner's yoga class, my internal monologue chuckled girlishly as it declared that this was indeed the stupidest thing I had ever done.

The story of my life would dictate that the expedition culminated in an anticlimax. I found noone. But in the lift, I let out a silent, A Clockwork Orange-esque "Ultra-Violence" violent baba ganouj-from-yesterday fart which someone responded to out loud with "Yuk", while a Chinese girl looked at me then commented to her boyfriend in that bitchy-Xiaojie tone, that I was "very not thin".

The rest of the morning was an extended lunch-break of looking at clothes and books. I tried on a pair of boots that would be perfect for Korea (if I go). They were flat, they fit, and they were the right length. Too bad they were one hundred and seventy five big ones.

Then I came home, discovered a letter from Woolworths. When did I ever work at Woolworths? I though to myself. As I pulled the letter out, the first word I caught was "Congratulations". Get this - I entered a stupid promo at Food For Less which required me to buy two certain brands. I ended up buying some sponges and a pen. Anyway, I got a runner's up prize!!! A $100 gift card. It would be nice if it was valid at say Myer or David Jones, but no, I have to spend it at the ultra-glamorous Woollies, Big W, Woolies Liquor, BWS, or Dick Smiths.

Maybe I'll buy a webcam at Dick Smiths. But the moral of the story is, enter those supermarket promos! Buy those two jars of bolognese sauce for your chance to win a trip for two to Italy!

And out.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Welcome. For Taiwan posts see March 2004 - Jan 2005. Enjoy!! Do leave a comment - I feel loved.

Archives
March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / May 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]