Today at work I came across a copy of The Bulletin from November 1996. I would have been just about to finish Year 7 at 'Horny' Girls High School.
The writing was more readable. 1996 would have been my year, had I been a journalist. The best part was the personals section at the back:
ARE YOU A BLOOMSBURYPHILE?
If you (like myself) are fascinated with the lives of Vanessa Bell, Virginia Woolf... Maynard Keynes and their friends/associates, I would love to hear from you.
I AM AN EX-AUSTRALIAN MAN in my fifties in good health, a non-smoker, light social drinker, self-employed businessman who has lived in Vanuatu 11 years. I would like to contact a well-educated lady 35-45 years, slim, outgoing, with a happy disposition who likes outdoors. This is James A. Michener's adventures in paradise and South Pacific. [Not sure what that last sentence is refering to].
And this is a crack-up:
AFFECTIONATE, VERY ATTRACTIVE 22-year-old woman who is a university graduate and a non-drinker, non-smoker with no ties is interested in meeting a gentleman with view to having a relationship and possibly marriage. Lives in Sydney.
Scary. These days, 22-year-old female uni grads who live in Sydney [clearing of throat] generally join rsvp.com and try their luck there...
She would be 32 now. I wonder if she found what she was looking for.