I think I'm getting RSI in my back (possible?) from sitting around doing shit all (usually for minimum wage) for the past nine months. Receptionist extraordinaire. My assistant manager asked if I did a course in office admin. This led to a long, boastful spiel about my achievements to date, and I believe she was sufficiently impressed.
Unfortunately neither she nor my boss have read 1984. I brought it up during a bitching session about instant coffee and my boss was absolutely puzzled. I should really keep my the-world-is-going-to-Orwellian-hell views to myself.
I've scuffed my cheapo K-Mart boots ($35 - to good to be true? Yes, too good to be true) on the tips. If they were leather, this would not have happened. So in fact, instead of saving myself $70, I just wasted $35. So the moral of the story is, shoes are an investment and don't try to cut corners by shopping for 'bargains' at K-Mart. Anyway I've dubbed them my 'K-Martens' in the spirit of Doc Martens. I'm wearing them now in fact. Mmm, sexy.
OK moving right along...
Speaking of Orwellian hell, I'm not the only person who thinks that way. In 2005 I attended one of the first lectures of Political Economy 1001 at Sydney Uni. The lecturer talked about how all the big companies are merging and merging until? And he asked us to ponder what would eventuate from this situation. I knew what he was getting at, but I was right up at the back, and I didn't feel like shouting, and I also wasn't confident enough to articulate my answer with the overall effect being one of triumph. So I didn't put up my hand. Noone else suggested it. Ah well. These days things are different. Last semester I told my ethics tutor, who is a behavioural psychology PhD, that one of the readings was psychobabble bullshit. I wondered what went through the minds of the Confucian class majority the moment I looked the tutor in the eye and said the word 'bullshit'.
"Wow, so this is the West", they thought. Needless to say, they all maintained their straight faces in a most expertly fashion.
JUST KIDDING
Reasons why I could be racist:
1. I am forever criticising Chinese culture
2. Well that's it, really.
Guilty? Still culture shocked? Culture shock that never went away? Possible? Anger, resentment, and bitterness? Did I ever really learn to cross cultural barriers? Or did I crawl further into the safety of my own?
That is all.