Some of my fondest memories of Granny were the days she took us on trips to the Eastwood shops when we were very little. Taking the shortcut from her unit to the train station was one of the highlights – the mysterious winding path way surrounded by trees that led to the library, then behind a large building along a walkway where I rarely saw anyone else walking. The exciting day would already be well underway by the time we arrived at the station just ten minutes later. Once on the train, the game of the day was Eye Spy. The letters we picked were always for things inside the train – S for seats, P for person, L for lights.
The four of us, Karina, Yasmin, Melanie and I had some great sleepovers at Granny’s. Tumbling around on the floor in our dresses, she would warn us to be careful not to show our ‘jungie bungies’, a phrase which would fill the room with giggles and laughter at this wonderful new word for ‘nickers’.
I liked it when she invited me to read to her. She thought I didn’t pause long enough at full-stops, and I remember insisting that my pauses were ‘just fine’, and would continue on from where I left off. I think Little Red Riding Hood sounded more like the first page of a Virginia Woolf novel, but I hope she found it entertaining nevertheless.
Granny was the kind of lady I would aspire to be: graceful, and elegant. Granny liked to say she was very proud of us; I like to think that more importantly, Granny has inspired us to be proud of ourselves.
Thank you Granny, you will be in our hearts and memories always.