Love at First Web Site
Monday, May 03, 2010
 
I'm back.

Where am I? I find myself sitting at the desk of my Royal Falcon hotel room in Deira, Dubai. It is the Indian district - the long walk back from the post office was an opportunity to experience the old harrassment and leering of my days in Taiwan. A woman in this world needs protection. Just ask Margaret Attwood. Protection from harrassment. Protection from the stripping of dignity that seems to be the fate of a naive Western woman outside the safety of the Western world.

Dubai is peppered with large, blizzardy shopping malls with features such as ski fields, ice rinks and aquariums. The aquarium at Dubai Mall is surrounded by people who have never seen one before, while I stand there and remember the days I escorted my unimpressed-by-anything language students from Switzerland and Japan to the aged and humble Sydney Aquarium in Darling Harbour. Several times.

The scorching heat of summer in Dubai does not stop the locals from enjoying the hellfire experience of the middle eastern beaches here. Tourists come in winter - but that's too cold for the locals. The water is warm enough, and blue. The Gulf is 50m deep in the centre. (Let's swim to Iran, I suggest.) It is not salty, and for the first time, I experience staring from men that is friendly rather than hostile. Arab men, explains Mohamed, honour their women. My spirits are lifted, and I take one small step on the way to shedding the horrible misconceptions that have proved a curse on Australian society.

On the practical side of things, Emirate families pay excellent hourly rates for private English tutoring. It is also an excellent way to get to know people and expand one's network, etc etc. Dubai is a cultural gateway to the middle east, however Mohamed has already exposed me to the beauty of genuine Arab hospitality. Here is to Dubai.

xo
 
Comments:
Hi Lizwa - Glad you're back! Looking forward to reading about your new adventures in Dubai. Be good & take care.

Love, K xoxo
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Welcome. For Taiwan posts see March 2004 - Jan 2005. Enjoy!! Do leave a comment - I feel loved.

Archives
March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / May 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]